Available now on Amazon prime, “The Truth About Marriage” has become my new favorite relationship documentary. I definitely recommend it to people who want to know more about love and committed relationships.
- It is not realistic to depend on your partner for your happiness. It is important for them to add to your happiness, but you have to be independently happy for a sustainable “happiness” in your relationship. Your happiness is your responsibility.
- Self awareness is the first step in navigating healthy relationships.
- Emotional stability is one of the most indicative personality characteristics in long term relationship success
- John Gottman comments about how we interact with one another in relationships determines relationship outcomes
- Relationship skills are essential.
- We need to own what we need and ask for it respectfully, rather than blame and criticize our partner for not meeting our needs.
- Committed relationships are a series of relationships.
- Sex is a way to maintain chemical bonding in a relationship.
- Honesty has to be buffered with sensitivity.
- The function of conflict is mutual understanding.
- Skill: Listening without defensiveness
These are just a few of my favorite lessons, be sure to check it out asap!